Sunday, November 30, 2008

I'm Tagged


Mostly I'm writing this blog post to remind myself about what I heard and learned in church this morning. The title of the sermon was "God is There for Us," and it's the second in a series called "Intersect: Real Encounters with the Real God."

I usually arrive to church early enough to either listen to the worship team's run-through and/or at least early enough to look through the bulletin before the service begins. I like to see what songs we'll be singing and then at least glance at the Scriptures that the message will be coming from. At the top of today's sermon notes page the Scripture passage was listed like this;
Ezekiel; particularly Ezekiel 48:35. So I looked up Ezekiel 48:35 and this is what it says, "The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits. And the name of the city from that time on will be: The LORD is There ." I remember thinking, 'Huh? How is Eric going to preach a sermon out of that?' I had been focused on the first part of the verse thinking, ok...what does a city whose distance all around is 18,000 cubits have to do with me?

But then I saw it...the last four words, "The Lord is There." God began preparing my heart for the message.

Eric Venable is new to our church. He's the minister of students and families, and most importantly, he has a really good sense of humor. I always enjoy it when he speaks because he makes me laugh, but he also always seems to drive home a good point. Today was no exception.

Here's the thing that stood out and made an impression in my soul; there is a vast difference between believing in and belonging to God. So many people BELIEVE in God. They may even call themselves Christians, and maybe they are...technically speaking. But in reality, many people only know ABOUT God. Others may even pray, but really they only pray for God to fix things in their lives.

But then there are the people who BELONG to God. Those are the ones that have a real relationship with Him. They're the ones who have an on-going dialogue with God and want to please Him. Their everyday lives reflect a pattern of seeking after the things of God, of wanting to grow and change and not just live mediocre lives. Revelation 3:15, 16 even says, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Yikes, that's pretty clear cut. God wants us to LIVE for Him, not just say we believe in Him.

Here's a passage that Eric read this morning and the way he explained it had never occurred to me. It's Matthew 7:21-23 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

I've always understood that these verses are basically saying that you can't earn your way into Heaven. I get that. But here's the new thing for me, it's in the very last part of the passage, "Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you." Jesus was saying this to people who professed faith, who prophesied, drove out demons and performed miracles! These weren't even just people who only came to God with a laundry list of needs...these were people who worked hard for God. And yet Jesus calls them evildoers and basically tells them to get lost. Why? Because they didn't have a living, breathing, active relationship with Him.

Just believing doesn't cut it. James 2:19 says, "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder!" It's the relationship that matters.

So, there is a HUGE difference between just believing and belonging. As I thought about it this afternoon, I thought about how even as a child, one of the first words we learn is "mine." Or remember the seagulls in Finding Nemo? "Mine, Mine, Mine." Then I started thinking that you don't have to drive far into Portland to see all the gang signs tagging their turf. Now, I'm not in any way glorifying gangs, so please don't take that away from this, but when an area is tagged, other gangs know they better not cross the lines or there will be consequences. That area "belongs" to someone.

Well, I really want to be "tagged" for Christ. When other people see me, I want them to know that I BELONG to Christ. I don't just believe in Him. I don't just ask Him for things. I don't just say the words, or pray the prayers. I KNOW Christ. I have a relationship with Him, and as a result of my relationship with Him, I am constantly growing and changing into the person He wants me to be.

Are you tagged for Him? When other people look at your life, can they see Him clearly working in you? When you meet Jesus face to face, will He say to you, "I know you said you BELIEVED in me, but I never KNEW you...away you evildoer!" or will He say, "There you are! I know you! Welcome Home!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with you take on the message. It was great, challenging and most importantly easy to remember. I've shared it with several people as well. Thanks for the post. And missed you at choir last night. Amy