Thursday, November 13, 2008

God is Still Doing Great Things

The Cove in Seaside, Oregon


Sometimes I feel like those rocks...pounded by the waves. But then again, that's how the rocks are smoothed and shaped. I know it's kind of cliche' but it is true.

This has been a rough week. Really rough. One of those weeks that for someone like me can literally be disabling. But in the midst of all of it, I've had three moments of clarity. One came when I was sitting on a porch swing with my best friend and realized how fortunate I am to have someone like her in my life who has the absolute ability to bring peace to my befuddled mind just by sitting with me.

Another moment of clarity came to me when I realized what amazing friends God has brought into my life over the years and right up to the present. I was in such a haze this week that I hadn't really taken stock in how many wonderful people were checking in with me and just letting me know they love me. Some of them I've known for 25+ years and others I've only known for a few weeks, but all of them LOVE the Lord, and by His extension, they love me. You all know who you are. Please know that even if it seemed I was unresponsive, I WAS impacted by your reaching out to me. If there's one thing that I truly never lose sight of (even in my darkest hours), it's the fact that God has BLESSED me big time in the area of strong, loving, lifelong friendships.

The other ah-ha moment came at the end of choir practice (which I had confessed to my wonderful choir director that I really didn't want to go to...nice huh?). Jill (our director) had us stand in a circle and sing "God is Still Doing Great Things" while looking at one another. When I looked at the faces of the people around the room, and listened to the amazing music coming from our hearts, I was able to remember that "yes, God is doing great things."

No matter where I am, or what state of mind I am in, God is always working in me and around me. Sometimes it may feel like I'm being pummeled by the waves of life, but when the waves recede, and they WILL recede, something about me will have changed. God is smoothing out the edges and shaping me to be the person He wants me to be. He IS still doing great things.

And by the way, I apologized to Jill for telling her I didn't really want to be at choir practice. Her gracious response proves why I'm so lucky that God brought her into my life. She said, "You can always tell me you didn't want to come. You have to be real. Life is not all up...but thank goodness it's not all down either. There is always a new day." I am going to learn a lot from Jill.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Oh April, Thank you so much. Our chance meeting continues to make me smile and reaffirms His leading in our lives. Sometimes it feels like we're just wandering...doesn't it? And yet He has our hand through our winding path. Growing to love you more each day.