Sunday, January 11, 2009

Divine Calling and other stuff



My heart feels really heavy today. I don't know what my problem is. I started tearing up in church this morning and now feel like there's a flood waiting just behind a straining dam. Maybe I'm PMSing (my apologies to my male readers...). Maybe I'm convicted. Maybe I'm just confused.

This morning's message was really great. It was taken out of Genesis 12:1-3. The main point was that our divine calling as Christians is to be a blessing to the world. Pastor Ron talked about how when he was young he quickly discovered what he was "born to do" - connect people to Jesus. His wife discovered she was born to have a ministry to orphans. He asked the question, "What are you passionate about?" Phew. What AM I passionate about?

Well, I am passionate about people. But honestly, I don't really feel like I'm very successful at being a blessing to people. I try. But alas and alack, I feel like I just mess things up all the time.

Then there's the whole, what was I born to do thing. I'm almost 45 now and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I want to do something that makes a difference. I want to do something that impacts people's lives. I've always really wanted to be a therapist, but is that just because I'm such a basket case myself? Am I too old to pursue that dream now? I tried going back to school a few years ago. I did fairly well until I got the science and math requirements...then I failed pretty miserably and found myself stuck mentally.

So, here I am, contemplating what I'm passionate about, what I want to do with my life, how am I doing at fulfilling my divine calling and where do I go from here...

Does anyone else grapple with this or is it just me? What is your passion in life? When did you realize what you were born to do...or have you yet? What are your ideas about how to fulfill our divine calling to be a blessing to the world?

To encourage some feedback, I'm going to offer a prize. (I got this idea from one of my favorite speakers, Patsy Clairmont...) Let's see, how about a $5.00 Starbucks gift card? I will put everyone who comments by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, January 16, 2009 into a drawing for the gift card (make sure you give me a way to contact you if you win). So comment away! I really want some feedback on this one...

(For the sake of my readers who are not on Facebook, in order to be entered into the drawing, the comments must be here on my blog (original post), not on the facebook notes.)

6 comments:

Moon Dance Ranch said...

I am not sure if I have found all that I am passionate about, but let's see. I am passionate about accounting... I was in high school, but didn't pursue the career until later on... I really love it and the challenge it brings. I think the good bosses I have had, make a difference. I am also passionate about being a wife and mom. I am still learning at these areas, but have many great teachers and examples to follow. Oh yes, and I am passionate about my faith in Jesus because no matter what He picks me up AGAIN and AGAIN...
Hang in There, April. I think we all have seasons that we weather, but have HOPE in the One that created us!!! XXOO

Melinda said...

My role is not necessarily the one that I might have chosen or auditioned for. It is, however, the role that the Director cast me as and saw me suitable for.

Thanks April. I think you just helped me hone my next blog post!

Janet Fraser said...

it's interesting April, but I think you are such an encouragement to those around you. You engage, you reach out, you notice others, you are present. These are gifts to the people in your life.

And NO it's not too late to pursue your dream or a place in ministry where you listen and walk people through things- are you familiar with the heartstrings ministry at Sunset, it might be a perfect fit for you and there are no math or science requirements :-)

Charlie said...

You know what this makes me think of are all the flowers in the world. Many bloom in the Spring and Summer, but some of the most amazing blooms waite for the Fall and Winter.

I hear stories of people that find their passion later in life and it makes me thank God that they didn't do it earlier. If they had, they wouldn't have had the wisdom to do it so well.

You, my dear friend, are a light in my family's life. Don't waste your time on therapy, there's plenty of work to be done in my house! Seriously, there are few people I truely admire. You are one.

A rose in the summer is but one of many. A rose in the winter is beauty without compare.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I struggle with this too. Don't bother putting me in the drawing. I don't know how to type my thoughts on this. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone, and it is good to wrestle with these questions.

Lora Van Nortwick

Anonymous said...

So I missed the drawing, but I'll comment anyway ... an awesome study I did years ago called Experiencing God encouraged people to look and see where God is at work, and then join him in it. Sometimes it's that easy. Begin joining God where He is already blessing others until you find the one that clicks with you. Amy Elder