Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas in January: Too Much Fun

"God Has Come Concert Canceled Due to Arctic Blast"


I was totally bummed. We'd worked long and hard on the music and now we wouldn't get to perform it. Luckily we have a tenacious choir director and she was determined that all of the time we spent preparing would not be in vain. (She's my hero by the way...) Jill was able to get the concert rescheduled for January 4, 2009. Sure, it was after Christmas, but then again, Christmas isn't the only day we can celebrate the birth of Christ!











So, we finally had our concert, and lots of people showed up. It was so much fun to be a part of. I even got to sing a solo! That was an amazing privilege...and a little scary at first. During our first "dress rehearsal" before the concert was canceled, I messed it up really bad. So, the cancellation gave me lots of extra practice time and I pulled it off last night...and wasn't even nervous. I haven't sang a solo since I belted out "Be Our Guest" on Saturday nights at CBCC, and that was in a much smaller venue. Haha. So it was a precious experience and one that I won't soon forget.

Oh, and did I mention that it started snowing again about an hour before the concert? Yeah, usually I'm excited about snow, but not so much at that moment. The first time around, I had 30+ people coming to the concert. That went down to 16 that were planning to make it to the rescheduled time. When all was said and done, I had 10 glorious guests, and was so grateful for their gift to me...the gift of presence. It meant so much to me that they came...even more so that they braved the snow to do it! Charlie (my personal photographer) said it was the best Christmas concert he'd ever been to (although once my solo was over with, his 4 year old daughter asked if it was over after every song and at one point told her mother, "Mom, it's way past my bedtime" haha). Chris and Toni really want a cd of the song, "Worship Him" which just happened to be composed by my afore-mentioned hero. Jeni said she's finally in the mood for Christmas... The reviews were wonderful.

The last time I was in choir (fall of 2005), I quit after Christmas. But this time, they'll have to kick me out to get rid of me...and even then I'd probably still show up. Jill's a really fun director and makes being in the choir not only enjoyable, but really meaningful. She has created a family-like atmosphere where we are bonding and forming great friendships. There is some sweet fellowship there. While it's easy to get caught up in learning the music, Jill often stops and makes us look at the meaning of what we're singing. If she's said it once, she's said it a thousand times..."even the rocks are praising Him" and that's what it's ALL about for her, which is what makes being in choir so great. She gives us ample opportunity to be involved with the Worship Team. We help lead worship about once a month, which is truly a moving experience, and always has an impact on me at a deep level.

So, be on the lookout for future concerts. Maybe around Easter? I don't know, but if you want me to, I'll keep you posted about when we are singing. Oh, and if you're on facebook, you can see a video of the acappella piece we did last night. It's posted on the left of my fb page.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks April. It was a great night. We'll see you Wednesday.

Melinda said...

...and you are a blogger, too (saw the link on Jill's FB page)! Thanks so much for your part in making the concert so special.

Moon Dance Ranch said...

?Sorry we missed it, but heard it on your FB. Please keep us posted for future concerts