Sunday, December 28, 2008

My heart's thoughts


Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we kind of missed Christmas this year? Maybe it was all of the snow, maybe it was not being able to really go anywhere for several days (that felt like weeks...or was that just me too?), or maybe it was just that so many people I know had a very "different" Christmas without all the regular traditions like concerts, annual parties and visiting family members who weren't able to make it. The whole thing seems so surreal now.

One thing I've been thinking a lot about is how short my attention span is, or rather my contentment span. I'm always wanting snow, but then when it was here, I couldn't wait for it to go away. Now that it's gone, I stood outside thinking, 'wow that was gorgeous, I can't believe it's all gone. I miss the white beauty and the pure quiet it created.' I don't, however, miss being snowed in.

It felt soooo good to get out and go to church today. It was great to see some people that I've grown to care very much about over the last few months as I've gotten connected at church. In fact, this snow storm gave proof to me that I've begun to really get connected because I actually missed church and the people I've been getting to know. Then after church I went for a drive, just because I could. I was hoping to meet up with and spend some time with SOMEONE, but everyone was busy, so it was not meant to be. But it still felt good just to get out and drive.

The message in church this morning was taken out of Habakkuk. It was a good one for me to hear. Barbara Feil was our teacher this morning and her message was great. She showed us that even the men in the Bible questioned God when they were in the midst of crisis. Even they felt like at times God was absent or silent. And God's ok with us telling Him how we feel. The key thing though is that in the end we worship Him....no matter if things actually turn out the way we think they will or not.

"Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights." Habakkuk 3:18,19

I know some of you are hurting right now. Financial issues, death of a loved one, depression, grief, troubled relationships...the list goes on an on. It's ok to tell God how you feel. It's ok to be disappointed that most of us didn't have the Christmas we'd hoped for. But in the end, we need to praise Him. We may not always understand or know His purpose, but we DO know that He is ALWAYS in control and has a plan for us. And because of that, we can worship Him.

I'm praying for a very God-filled new year. I'd love to pray for you too. What would you like me to pray?

No comments: