Monday, October 6, 2008

Here I Am In All My Glory...

Ok, maybe not exactly glory, but I decided it would be fun to start a blog. I haven't done much blogging (just a few entries on myspace...but now I'm on facebook, which I like a lot better), but I enjoy reading other people's blogs.

Anyway, normally I can think of lots of things to talk about, but here I sit with a blank page in front of me and I can't think of a single thing I want to say. Hmmm, maybe this blogging thing isn't going to be as easy as I imagined... So, this blog will be filled with random thoughts.

I'm looking forward to going to the Women of Faith conference this weekend. The first and only time I went was in 2005 and it had a major impact on my life. I have a feeling this time will be just as powerful. I'm especially looking forward to hearing Patsy Clairmont speak. She is hysterical and brings home her message with quite the punch. I'm going with one of my oldest friends, Jan (perhaps I should say longest lasting so as not to cast apsersions on her age...). I'm looking forward to the time I'll be spending with her almost as much as the conference itself. I'm sure I will have more to blog about after WOF.

Yesterday in church the speaker (it wasn't our pastor teaching this week) talked about our "higher purpose" and that really, most everything in life is not about us, but about someone else. As Christians, our very existence is not really about ourselves, but about reaching the lost and living a life that brings light into this dark world that we live in...and boy is our world ever dark. I think it's getting darker by the minute. In some ways, it's easy to "accept" that our higher purpose is to bring the Gospel to non-believers, but to really put the "it's not about me" concept into practice in our every day lives seems a little tougher to me. Can you imagine how different life would be if everyone just put other people before themselves always? Ugh. This is not an easy thing to grasp...I tend to want to defend myself and my "rights", sometimes at the expense of someone else's feelings. It's just not ok. So, God is working on me in this regard.

Ok, pretty boring for a first blog. I'll try to make them more interesting in the future...

No comments: