Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bronchitis, Orange Juice and an Itchy Dog...Oh My!



This has not been the greatest of weeks at the Curtright homestead. I went to bed last Friday night with a little bit of a scratchy throat and literally woke up the next morning feeling like there was an elephant sitting on my chest. Full blown bronchitis, complete with green gubers and fever.


Anyone who knows me knows that my brain tends to "malfunction" when I'm sick. I will sometimes lose time, send weird emails or leave virtually undecodable voice mail messages. People used to think I was having a stroke or something, but as it's become fairly routine over the last couple of years, my friends and family have sort of "gotten used to it". While I don't think it's normal by any means, I've grown to accept it as well because I simply have bigger fish to fry when it comes to my mental health. But I think I finally realized tonight that I've been making matters much worse by my own "age old remedy" to healing myself of colds and bronchitis. I've always flushed and infused my system with vitamin C by downing at least a gallon of orange juice in little more than a day. It used to work wonders. I didn't used to be diabetic. Duh. Orange Juice + Diabetes= Loopy April. I'm fairly certain I've been sending myself into diabetic shock every time I get a cold. I never even thought about it until I was talking to a friend of mine tonight and we were trying to figure out why I lose my mind when I'm sick. I'm seeing a Dr tomorrow, so I'll discuss it with her, but I'm pretty sure I need to just start buying vitamin C tablets and lay off the OJ.


Then there's poor little Finn. He's been really itchy for a while now. I've been trying all the home remedies...oatmeal soap, flaxseed oil, cottage cheeese. None of it is working. Poor little guy tries to scratch his back on everything possible. I feel so bad for him.


So tomorrow (well, really it's later today since it's almost 2 a.m. now) it's off to the Dr for me, the vet for Finn and then counseling to try to get my head screwed on right. It should be such a fun day...NOT. But hopefully we'll get some answers to our issues...would love your prayers!

P.S. I have officially lost it... My knuckles have been really dry and cracking, so after writing this post and before turning in for the night, I thought, "maybe I'll try putting some chapstick on them while I'm sleeping." Makes sense, right? As I began slathering on the chapstick I looked down only to realize I'd grabbed a glue stick and now had glue all over my knuckles. And I wasn't even under the influence of orange juice!

No comments: