Monday, March 30, 2009

The Hofers: God's Special Gift



I am really blessed. I know that full well. I have amazing friends and relationships that have been a part of my life for more than 30 years in some cases. Not everyone has that. I get it.


But isn't it so fun when you turn around and suddenly there is a new gift from God that you never saw coming? That's what's happened to me with the Hofers.

It's happened so fast that I still find myself thinking, "where did these people come from and how can I love them so much already?" It has to be a God-thing. I'm sure they're thinking the same thing, especially when their youngest daughter says, "April, I think you should just become a Hofer," and their son introduces me to his friend as, "She's kind of like our Aunt." It has to be a God-thing.

I had the opportunity to spend some time with Jill, Jordan and Grace this week. It was spring break and they've never been to Cannon Beach. I know! Can you believe it?! So, because of my ties to CBCC I was able to get us a couple of rooms and we went down for two nights. Unfortunately, Don had to work, and Ashley had a trip to NY (can't imagine why she didn't trade that in for CB...), but the four of us had a great time.




Probably one of the best parts of the trip for me was getting to spend some time with Jordan and really getting to know him a lot better. He is really a great kid, with a really fun sense of humor. He and I went on an early morning beach combing expedition and found 62 whole sand dollars, a crab shell, an entire razor clam shell (both halves), a couple of limpets and a couple smal orange scallops. Very rewarding trip. Especially when he's never really had that experience before. We laughed and talked a lot and I feel like it really sealed the beginning of a great relationship with a kid that I respect and can't wait to watch grow up.


I have a lot of respect for the Hofers. They are a great family. We have a lot of fun together and quite frankly have already been through a lot together in just the short 6 months I have known them. They truly are a gift and I don't want to take that for granted at all. I love the Hofers. And when I left their house the other night and Don said, "Bye April Hofer," I was pretty sure they love me too. I'm happy to be and adopted part of their clan.

No comments: